Hardware/Software Requirements for OmicSoft Server
- OmicSoft Suite v11.2 or newer
- OmicSoft Suite v12.1, available starting May 2022
OmicSoft Server works with the client software (OmicSoft Studio) to provide structural data repository, search and integration. To maximize the user experience, the following hardware server configuration is recommended:
|Item||OncoLand and/or DiseaseLand, or 2-4 analysis users||OncoLand/DiseaseLand+Single Cell Lands, or >4 analysis users||AWS Cloud analysis add-on Option|
|Operating system (recommendations below)||Windows or Linux||Windows or Linux||Linux (Ubuntu 20 or Amazon Linux 2 AMI required)|
|CPU||4-8 cores (2.3G+)||8-16 cores (2.3G+)|
|Memory (**1)||32G+||64G+ recommended (128GB+ Recommended for users running very large AWS NGS jobs)|
|Storage type||File server recommended||File server recommended||EBS and S3|
|Storage space (customer data)||1TB||3TB+||S3 buckets|
|Storage space (Resource files)||300 GB||500 GB||EBS storage dynamically specified by OmicSoft Server|
|Storage space (Lands)||300 GB||500 GB||EBS|
|Networking (**4)||1 GbE NIC||1 GbE NIC|
|Recommended AWS EC2 class||r5.xlarge||r5.2xlarge|
To download all OncoLands and DiseaseLands (except Single Cell Lands), approximately 600GB of storage would be required, including the shared resource files for analysis.
- Baseline memory footprint is dependent on whether or not OmicSoft Lands are hosted on the server (~16GB will be used for OmicSoft Server with all OmicSoft Lands), the numbers of platforms, and on the projects on the server.
- Additional memory is required for analysis; each NGS alignment job will take ~12GB memory to hold the genome index
- Two hard drives are strongly recommended for backup purpose. We suggest a backup at least every week. If one hard drive fails, it only takes one simple configuration change to connect the server to the other hard drive.
- Networking speed between server and clients are largely dependent on the server upload/download speed.
Other Requirements / Suggestions
- The performance of the server is largely determined by the I/O speed. Therefore, we do not recommend USB external hard drives. Local hard drives or file servers are strongly recommended. File servers with parallel I/O support will have the best performance.
- We recommend incremental backup because most of the data managed by the server will not be changed after publishing.
- As an additional buffer if installing many parallel Lands, consider adding Swap Space.
OmicSoft Server can also be installed on a Cloud virtual machine as long as the above specs are met; OmicSoft Server can also be hosted on a cluster.
OmicSoft Server v12.0 or newer can be installed on the following, fully supported, operating systems:
- Ubuntu 20
- RHEL 8
- CentOS 8
- Amazon Linux 2
- Windows Server >= build 1803, including Server 2019
Windows Server 2022 most likely will work, but was not tested