Getting Started - OmicSoft Suite V12
About OmicSoft Suite v12
First, OmicSoft Suite v12 brings significant security improvements in the communication between the OmicSoft components, by using encrypted communication channels with TLS 1.2 and above.
- OmicSoft Server and OmicSoft Studio
- Oshell and OmicSoft Server
- Land Explorer and OmicSoft Server
Installation of OmicSoft Server v12 requires a domain name assigned to the host machine, with a TLS1.2 server certificate (details below).
Second, OmicSoft Studio v12 supports a new View for lands with Single Cell data:
There is no backwards compatibility between OmicSoft Suite v12.0 components and OmicSoft Suite v11.x or older components.
- OmicSoft Server v12.0 and above is not compatible with OmicSoft Studio v11.7 or older
- OmicSoft Studio v12.0 and above is not compatible with OmicSoft Server v11.7 or older
- A new software launcher/updater is provided for both Windows and MacOS clients.
- Oshell v12.0 and above is not compatible with OmicSoft Server v11.7 or older
- Land Explorer v.4.0 and above is not compatible with OmicSoft Server v11.7 or older
Note: New installers are required for each component (prevents accidental update incompatibility).
Deprecated or Retired Functionalities
Server job notification service account retiring
OmicSoft Server can deliver e-mail notifications when jobs are completed using the specified SMTP server (configured in ArrayServer.cfg). Historically OmicSoft has offered Arrayserver.email@example.com as the default email account if no SMTP server was specified. This account will be retired on March 31, 2022.
- You can configure OmicSoft Server to communicate with your own SMTP e-mail server if it supports SMTP AUTH using Plain/Basic protocol: Update instructions here
- OmicSoft Suite will add support for SMTP AUTH using Oauth2 in an upcoming release
BAS Server retiring with v12.1 release
The OmicSoft-hosted BAS Server will be retired, because of low usage and low performance of the server as RNA-seq data sizes continue to grow. If you need to inspect transcriptome coverage of Land datasets in the OmicSoft Genome Browser, we will happily continue to provide the BAS files for download; these can can be installed and made available on your on-prem server, or loaded individually. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
OmicSoft Viewer retiring with v12.1 release
The lightweight client “OmicSoft Viewer”/”Array Viewer” will not be updated for OmicSoft Suite v12.1 and will be unavailable for download. Your license for OmicSoft Studio is managed at the concurrent user level, so any number of your colleagues can install the software, so this is expected to be minimal impact.
Installing OmicSoft Suite v12
- Installation Requirements for OmicSoft Studio
- Installing OmicSoft Studio on Windows
- Installing OmicSoft Studio on Mac
- How to activate your OmicSoft Studio license
Migrating OmicSoft Server v11 to v12
Updating existing OmicSoft Server v12 installations
Follow the instructions on How to Update and Restart OmicSoft Server to update your OmicSoft Server installation to the latest version.
Install OmicSoft Server
For fastest setup, we recommend using pre-built AMIs with OmicSoft Server configured
- Ubuntu 20.04 using pre-built AMIs (recommended)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.5 using pre-built AMIs
- CentOS Stream 8 using pre-built AMIs
- Amazon Linux 2 using pre-built AMIs
Set up your own server environment
If required by your IT policy, you can Install OmicSoft Server on your own, on any of the following operating systems
OmicSoft Server v12 - TLS Configuration
OmicSoft Server v12 requires a valid TLS certificate.
OmicSoft Cloud Analysis AMIs
- Install OShell on your own AMI for Cloud NGS analysis
Initial configuration of your on-premises installation
- After launching OmicSoft Server, the OmicSoft administrator can register additional users in the organization and assign appropriate user permissions.
- The OmicSoft administrator should routinely check for new Land databases available for download, and download them after consulting with end users. Updates to existing Land databases will be automatically retrieved.